draw a blank
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- To be unable to recall a required piece of information.
- I should know that person's name, but I'm drawing a blank.
- To fail; not to find anything; to produce no successful response.
- 1856, Lucius Manlius Sargent, Dealings with the Dead, volume 2, page 472:
- "Oh," she replied, "when I came to think of it, I saw, that you were right. I thought, 'twas quite likely it [the lottery ticket] would draw a blank. […] "
being unable to recall a piece of information