Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: eidôlon
- An image or representation of an idea; a representation of an ideal form; an apparition of some actual or imaginary entity, or of some aspect of reality.
1936, Henry Miller, Black Spring:
- As a species it is extinct; as an eidolon it retains its corporeality – but only if maintained in a state of equipoise.
- 1974, Lawrence Durrell, Monsieur, Faber & Faber 1992, p. 21:
- It was not hard to forge her image, her "eidolon", in the grey gloom of the little church.
- 2006, Thomas Pynchon, Against the Day, Vintage 2007, p. 697:
- Kit was sitting up staring into the dark at this eidolon, inelegantly turned out contrary to a whole raft of public-decency statutes, which had come monitory and breathing in to violate Kit's insomnia.
- A phantom, a ghost or elusive entity.
a representation of an ideal form