Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: élusive
- IPA(key): /ɪˈluːsɪv/
Audio (US) (file)
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /iˈluːsɪv/
- Homophone: illusive
- Evading capture, comprehension or remembrance.
- The elusive criminal was arrested
- Difficult to make precise.
- A precise definition of diarrhea is elusive (Robbin's pathology, 8th ed)
- 1910, Jack London, chapter 6, in Lost Face:
- Charley chased the elusive idea through all the nooks and crannies of his drowning consciousness.
- Rarely seen.
- 2002, Scott Roederer, Birding: Rocky Mountain National Park, page 93:
- While you're sniffing the trunks of the ponderosas to see if they're butterscotch, vanilla, strawberry, or the elusive chocolate variety, watch for Brown Creepers, an elusive variety of bird.
evading capture, comprehension or remembrance
difficult to describe