Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Rhymes: -eɪʃən
elaboration (plural elaborations)
- The act or process of producing or refining with labor; improvement by successive operations; refinement.
2013 September-October, Henry Petroski, “The Evolution of Eyeglasses”, in American Scientist:
- Digging deeper, the invention of eyeglasses is an elaboration of the more fundamental development of optics technology. The ability of a segment of a glass sphere to magnify whatever is placed before it was known around the year 1000, when the spherical segment was called a reading stone, […] .
- The natural process of formation or assimilation, performed by the living organs in animals and vegetables, by which a crude substance is changed into something of a higher order; as, the elaboration of food into chyme; the elaboration of chyle, or sap, or tissues.
- (computing) Setting up a hierarchy of calculated constants in a language such as Ada so that the values of one or more of them determine others further down in the hierarchy.
- (electronics) The process of taking a parsed tree of an abstract integrated circuit definition in a language such as Verilog and creating a hierarchy of module instances that ends with primitive (atomic) gates and statements.
act or process of producing or refining with labor
natural process of formation or assimilation by which a crude substance is changed into something of a higher order
computing: setting up a hierarchy of calculated constants
electronics: process of creating a hierarchy of module instances that ends with primitive gates and statements