Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
audio (US) (file)
- Adjective: ĭlă'bərət, IPA(key): /ɪˈlæbərət/
- Verb: ĭlă'bərāt, IPA(key): /ɪˈlæbəreɪt/
- Highly complex, detailed, or sophisticated.
- After reading a long, elaborate description, I was impressed but no wiser.
- Intricate, fancy, flashy, or showy.
- I stared for hours at the elaborate pattern in the rug.
flashy or fancy
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
- (intransitive) (used with on when used with an object) To give further detail or explanation (about).
- What do you mean you didn't come home last night? Would you care to elaborate?
- Could you elaborate on the plot for your novel for me?
to give further detail or explanation