Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
audio (US) (file)
- Adjective: ĭlă'bərət, IPA(key): /ɪˈlæbərət/
- Verb: ĭlă'bərāt, IPA(key): /ɪˈlæbəreɪt/
- Highly complex, detailed, or sophisticated.
- After reading a long, elaborate description, I was impressed but no wiser.
- Intricate, fancy, flashy, or showy.
- I stared for hours at the elaborate pattern in the rug.
1907, Robert W[illiam] Chambers, “chapter I”, in The Younger Set (Project Gutenberg; EBook #14852), New York, N.Y.: A. L. Burt Company, published 1 February 2005 (Project Gutenberg version), OCLC 4241346:
- The house was a big elaborate limestone affair, evidently new. Winter sunshine sparkled on lace-hung casement, on glass marquise, and the burnished bronze foliations of grille and door.
flashy or fancy
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
- (intransitive) (used with on when used with an object) To give further detail or explanation (about).
- What do you mean you didn't come home last night? Would you care to elaborate?
- Could you elaborate on the plot for your novel for me?
to give further detail or explanation