Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
figuring (plural figurings)
2008, Patricia Murphy & Kathy Hall, Learning and Practice: Agency and Identities, ISBN 144620569X, page 157:
- Alternative figurings may be available for interpreting the everyday, and alternative ways of figuring systems of privilege may be developed in contestations over social arrangements.
2011, Tim Sandlin, Western Swing: A Novel, ISBN 140224178X, page 270:
- By my figuring, he couldn't have been much over forty, but sagging, bleached-out skin and a gray to balding head made him look sixty.
- Structure, design, or arrangement; figure.
1863, Herrman S. Saroni, Musical Grammar:
- We must remember, however, that all these figurings are written with reference to the tonic signature.
1894, The Clothier and Furnisher - Volume 23, page 60:
- These webbings are made in innumerable fine patternings, with silk mixtures in the design, in narrow stripings and small figurings.
2011, Vincent J. Hausmann, Cinema, Technologies of Visibility, and the Reanimation of Desire, ISBN 023011850X, page 35:
- Yet when we examine how Mendes's film figures the behind, as it were, behind the father, when we look closely at the film's figurings of anality in the father/son relation, we do not see an insistence that traces of a radical Otherness emerge in figurings of archaic relations and in turn challenge problematic, idealized claims that relations between men can transcend Symbolic mediation.
- present participle of