Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Rhymes: -eɪʃən
- (mathematics, uncountable) The act or process of calculating.
- (mathematics, countable) The result of calculating.
2012 January 1, Michael Riordan, “Tackling Infinity”, American Scientist, volume 100, number 1, page 86:
- Some of the most beautiful and thus appealing physical theories, including quantum electrodynamics and quantum gravity, have been dogged for decades by infinities that erupt when theorists try to prod their calculations into new domains. Getting rid of these nagging infinities has probably occupied far more effort than was spent in originating the theories.
- (countable) Reckoning, estimate.
- By my calculation, we should be there by midnight.
- (countable) An expectation based on circumstances.
- (act or process of calculating): calculating, computation, computing, reckoning (old)
- (Result of calculation): sum
- (estimate): estimate, guess, reckoning, measurement
act or process of calculating
result of calculating
expectation based on circumstances