Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (obsolete) Fineness; beauty.
- (countable) Ornament; decoration; especially, excessive decoration; showy clothes; jewels.
- (ironworking) A charcoal hearth or furnace for the conversion of cast iron into wrought iron, or into iron suitable for puddling.
- 1957, H.R. Schubert, History of the British Iron and Steel Industry, page 160:
- In front of the finery hearth in which the sow is melted down again, the finer is working with a long iron bar called a ringer (from French 'ringard') with which he keeps the molten iron in motion by stirring, an essential stage in the process of refining.
fineness — see fineness
excessive decoration, showy clothes, jewels
- (charcoal hearth): refinery