Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈfɝnɪs/
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈfɜːnɪs/
Audio (US) (file)
furnace (plural furnaces)
- A device for heating.
- A device that heats materials being processed in a factory.
- A device that provides heat for a building.
- Any area that is excessively hot.
- (figuratively) A place or time of punishment, affiction, or great trial; severe experience or discipline.
device for heating — see oven
device for heating in a factory, melting metals, etc
device for heating a building
- To heat in a furnace