Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
decoration (plural decorations)
- The act of adorning, embellishing, or honoring; ornamentation.
- That which adorns, enriches, or beautifies; something added by way of embellishment; ornament.
- 1994, Stephen Fry, The Hippopotamus Chapter 2
- At the very moment he cried out, David realised that what he had run into was only the Christmas tree. Disgusted with himself at such cowardice, he spat a needle from his mouth, stepped back from the tree and listened. There were no sounds of any movement upstairs: no shouts, no sleepy grumbles, only a gentle tinkle from the decorations as the tree had recovered from the collision.
- Specifically, any mark of honor to be worn upon the person, as a medal, cross, or ribbon of an order of knighthood, bestowed for services in war, great achievements in literature, art, etc.
- (biochemistry, immunology) The use of exotic sugars as decoys to distract the immune system of a host
act of adorning
that which adorns
any mark of honor to be worn upon the person
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked