Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˌflʊəˈrɛsənt/
- (US) IPA(key): /flɔˈɹɛsɨnt/
- Homophone: florescent, in some pronunciations
- Rhymes: -ɛsənt
- Of or relating to fluorescence
- Exhibiting or produced by fluorescence
- The fluorescent plants shimmered in the darkness.
- Emitting visible light as a result of the excitation of phosphors by ultraviolet photons produced by the passage of an electrical current through an inert gas infused with mercury.
- The quality of fluorescent lighting technology has improved dramatically in recent years.
- Glowing as if with fluorescence; vivid
- Her shirt was fluorescent orange.
fluorescent (plural fluorescents)
- A fluorescent light
- The fluorescents hummed day and night.