Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
First attested in the 1930s, of uncertain origin.
foofaraw (plural foofaraws)
- Overly excessive or flashy ornamentation or decoration.
- Fuss over something of little importance.
2013 October 13, Erik Adams, “TV: Review: THE SIMPSONS (CLASSIC): “Lisa’s Wedding” (season six, episode 19; originally aired 3/19/1995)”, in The Onion AV Club:
- Yes, there’s a romance at the center of the episode, though it’s just as much of a red herring as the layers of futuristic foofaraw.
- 1944, Time, volume 44, page 15:
- The thumping bands, the badges, the pretty girls and all the time-honored foofaraw failed to charge up the Republican batteries to the sparking point. The great engine just would not turn over — at the start.