for heaven's sake
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Audio (AU) (file)
- (idiomatic, euphemistic) Expresses frustration, exasperation, annoyance, or the urgency of an instruction.
- Synonyms: see Thesaurus:for the love of God
- 1980, Bill Oddie, Bill Oddie's Little Black Bird Book, page 61:
- Don't ever use the hood on your anorak; and, if you do, for heaven's sake don't pull the string tight so that you peep out like a little baby in a siren suit.
- (idiomatic, euphemistic) Expresses surprise, sometimes pleasant.
- Well, for heaven's sake! Look who's here! Good to see you again!