Jump to navigation Jump to search
From fore- + ground. Compare Dutch voorgrond (“foreground”), German Vordergrund (“foreground”), Danish forgrund (“foreground”), Swedish förgrund (“foreground”), Norwegian forgrunn (“foreground”), Icelandic forgrunni (“foreground”).
foreground (plural foregrounds)
- The elements of an image which lie closest to the picture plane.
- The subject of an image, often depicted at the bottom in a two-dimensional work.
- (computing, often attributive) The application the user is currently interacting with; the application window that appears in front of all others.
the elements of an image which lie closest to the picture plane
foreground (third-person singular simple present foregrounds, present participle foregrounding, simple past and past participle foregrounded)
- To place in the foreground (physically or metaphorically).
- 2019 October 31, A. A. Dowd, “Martin Scorsese and Robert De Niro reunite for one last gripping crime epic, The Irishman”, in AV Club:
- Right from the start, The Irishman foregrounds the looming inevitability of death.
- Synonym: highlight