Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /fɔːˈfɛnd/, /fə-/
- (General American) IPA(key): /fɔɹˈfɛnd/
- Rhymes: -ɛnd
- Hyphenation: for‧fend
Audio (US) (file)
- (archaic) To prohibit; to forbid; to avert.
- 2008, Lew, short circuit operators, zbadnYZNaK6VM1zanZ2dnUVZ_r7inZ2d@comcast.com
- What? Multi-posting? Usenet Gods forfend!
- 2018, Steven Pinker, Enlightenment Now: The Case for Reason, Science, Humanism, and Progress, page 271:
- People have long given thought to the causes of danger and how they might be forfended.
- Common usage of this word is predominantly confined to set expressions such as heaven forfend.
prohibit; forbid; avert