- Close to the number forty
- About forty years old.
- Any number close to forty.
1993, Quarterly bulletin of the Alpine Garden Society, volume 61-62, Alpine Garden Society (Great Britain), page 348:
- One problem it drops in our laps is to have developed all fortyish of its species within our temperate area, from the Falklands to the central temperate Andes.
2003, Randall Robinson, The Reckoning: What Blacks Owe to Each Other:
- A great many black men are Mark Lawrence's age (fortyish), height (six-two-ish), weight (one-seventy-ish), and complexion (a reddish medium brown) that hints of a childhood of freckles and umber-red hair
2004, Jean Lau Chin, The Psychology of Prejudice and Discrimination, page 46:
- In my day, more often than not, you had to break rank to join the very few fortyish-aged women (renegades) promoted
2006, Harold F. Kratch, One Soldier's Memories, page 109:
- The day was cloudy, and the temperature was about fortyish.