Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: freerider
- Someone who obtains goods or services legally without paying.
- The store failed because all of the manager's friends were free riders who drove paying customers away.
- (economics) One who obtains benefit from a public good without paying for it directly.
- A lighthouse is the classic example of a public good because it is difficult to prevent a ship (a free rider) from using it.
- (who obtains goods or services for free): freeloader