Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
gargoyle (plural gargoyles)
- A carved grotesque figure on a spout which conveys water away from the gutters.
1906, Rafael Sabatini, The Trampling of the Lilies, page 110:
- From between set teeth came now a flow of oaths and imprecations as steady as the flow of water from the gargoyle overhead.
- Any decorative carved grotesque figure on a building.
- A fictional winged monster.
2005, Mel Odom, The Secret Explodes, page 200:
- Almost immediately one of the gargoyles swept down from the sky and attacked him. The gargoyle's momentum drove them both over the side.
- (slang, pejorative) An ugly woman.
carved grotesque figure on a spout
decorative figure on a building
fictional winged creature