Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: Crone
crone (plural crones)
- (obsolete) An old woman.
- But still the crone was constant to her note.
- An archetypal figure, a Wise Woman.
- An ugly, evil-looking, or frightening old woman; a hag.
- (obsolete) An old ewe.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Tusser to this entry?)
- (obsolete) An old man, especially one who talks and acts like an old woman.
- A few old battered crones of office.
- Washington Irving
- The old crone [a negro man] lived in a hovel […] which his master had given him.
- See also Wikisaurus:old woman
obsolete: an old woman
an ugly evil-looking or frightening old woman; a hag
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.