greatest thing since sliced bread
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Adapted from the advertising slogan used in 1928 by the Chillicothe Baking Company (the first company to sell sliced bread), which was as follows:
The greatest forward step in the baking industry since bread was wrapped.
Audio (AU) (file)
- (idiomatic) Something amazing, outstanding or praiseworthy, especially a relatively recent invention likely to improve people's lives.
- 1962 December 19, Jeanne Boardman, “Hints from Heloise”, in St. Joseph Missouri Gazette, page 5:
- This column is about the greatest thing since sliced bread.
- 1978, Joe Girard, Stanley H. Brown, How to Sell Anything to Anybody, page 104:
- Because if he starts to write a check for the full amount and I say, “Take off $250”, or “I'll throw in door-guard trim and five steel radials for nothing”, Charley is going to think I am the greatest thing since sliced bread.
- 2007, David S. Platt, Why Software Sucks: ...and What You Can Do About It, page 208:
- It was the greatest thing since sliced bread when it first came out, and I remember selling a big project to a customer by demonstrating it.
a relatively recent invention