greatest thing since sliced bread
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Audio (AU) (file)
- (idiomatic) Something very good, especially a relatively recent invention likely to improve people's lives.
- 1962 December 19, Jeanne Boardman, “Hints from Heloise”, in St. Joseph Missouri Gazette, page 5:
- This column is about the greatest thing since sliced bread.
- 1978, How to Sell Anything to Anybody, page 104:
- Because if he starts to write a check for the full amount and I say, “Take off $250”, or “I'll throw in door-guard trim and five steel radials for nothing”, Charley is going to think I am the greatest thing since sliced bread.
- 2007, David S. Platt, Why Software Sucks: ...and What You Can Do About It, page 208:
- It was the greatest thing since sliced bread when it first came out, and I remember selling a big project to a customer by demonstrating it.
a relatively recent invention