Jump to navigation Jump to search
- IPA(key): /ˈɹɛl.ə.tɪv.li/
relatively (not comparable)
- Proportionally, in relation to some larger scale thing.
- He measured his success relatively, that is, competitively.
- 2011 October 1, Saj Chowdhury, “Wolverhampton 1 - 2 Newcastle”, in BBC Sport:
- Alan Pardew's current squad has been put together with a relatively low budget but the resolve and unity within the team is priceless.
- He was relatively successful.
somewhat — see somewhat
- ^ In General American and Canadian English, the flapped [ɾ] pronunciation [ˈɹɛl.ə.ɾɪv] of relative is more common than the aspirated [tʰ] pronunciation [ˈɹɛl.ə.tʰɪv]; but in the derived adverb relatively, the aspirated pronunciation [ˈɹɛl.ə.tʰɪv.li] is more common, though the flap-t version can still be heard, especially in casual speech.