Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: Guppy
- Rhymes: -ʌpi
guppy (plural guppies)
- A tiny freshwater fish, Poecilia reticulata, popular in home aquariums, that usually has a plain body and black or dark blue tail for the females and a more colorful tail for the males.
- Fred kept a tank of guppies by the windowsill.
- By extension, any tiny fish.
- Throw that one back; it’s just a guppy!
- (paintball) A tube holding paintballs before they are loaded into the gun.
- 2001, John R. Little, Curtis Wong, Ultimate Paintball Field Guide (page 177)
- I reached into my pack and grabbed a guppy to reload. Pouring in the contents, I kept my eyes ahead as I was supposed to do.
obsolete taxonomic names
- Guppy on Wikipedia.Wikipedia
- Poecilia reticulata on Wikimedia Commons. Wikimedia Commons: Poecilia reticulata
- Poecilia reticulata on Wikispecies. Wikispecies: Poecilia reticulata
guppy m (plural guppys)