Jump to navigation Jump to search
- To make high; to raise higher; to elevate.
- 2021 June 2, “Network News: Cambrian Line bridge is raised”, in RAIL, number 932, page 23:
- Black Bridge, near Machynlleth, is being heightened by one metre in a £3.6 million project to reduce delays caused by flooding.
- To advance, increase, augment, make larger, more intense, stronger etc.
- to heighten beauty
- to heighten a flavor or a tint
- to heighten awareness
- to heighten tension
- the excitement heightened
- “That’s heightened by the impact of climate change,” she added.
- 2006 December 6, Ashley Seager, “Employment rise gives chancellor a boost”, in The Guardian:
- If Mr Brown chooses, he could raise his estimate of the economy's "trend" rate of growth in the coming years and so heighten his hopes of tax revenues.
to make higher
to augment, aggravate, intensify