Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: Hengst
From Middle Dutch henxt, from Old Dutch *hengist, from Proto-West Germanic *hangist, from Proto-Germanic *hangistaz.
hengst m (plural hengsten, diminutive hengstje n)
- stallion (male horse, especially uncastrated)
- Deze hengst heeft een uitstekende stamboom.
- This stallion has an excellent pedigree.
- (metonymically) A very hard hit, like given by a angrily kicking stallion.
- Hij gaf zijn aanvaller een geweldige hengst.
- He gave his attacker an enormous wallop.
- merrie (“mare”)
- Afrikaans: hings
- Alternative form of hengest
- Dutch terms inherited from Middle Dutch
- Dutch terms derived from Middle Dutch
- Dutch terms inherited from Old Dutch
- Dutch terms derived from Old Dutch
- Dutch terms inherited from Proto-West Germanic
- Dutch terms derived from Proto-West Germanic
- Dutch terms inherited from Proto-Germanic
- Dutch terms derived from Proto-Germanic
- Dutch terms with IPA pronunciation
- Dutch terms with audio links
- Rhymes:Dutch/ɛŋst/1 syllable
- Dutch lemmas
- Dutch nouns
- Dutch nouns with plural in -en
- Dutch masculine nouns
- Dutch terms with usage examples
- Dutch metonyms
- nl:Male animals
- Old English terms with IPA pronunciation
- Old English lemmas
- Old English nouns
- Old English masculine nouns