- (General American) IPA(key): /hɪˈɹoʊ.ɪk/
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /hɪˈɹəʊ.ɪk/
- Hyphenation: he‧ro‧ic
Audio (US) (file)
- Rhymes: -əʊɪk
- Of or relating to a hero or heroine; supremely noble
- heroic deeds
- Courageous; displaying heroism.
- RAUBENHEIMER NO v TRUSTEES, JOHANNES BREDENKAMP TRUST, AND OTHERS 2006 (1) SA 124 (C)"The original cottage was said to appear on a well-known painting, dating back to 1863, of the American pirate ship, the Alabama, leaving Table Bay. It was also believed to feature in the story of the heroic Wolraad Woltemade who, in 1773, lost his life and that of his horse after valiantly saving 14 shipwrecked persons. This was said to have taken place within sight and full view of the house. The second respondent called this historical link into question, averring that the house was probably not yet built in 1773 while Woltemade's heroics were believed to have taken place in the vicinity of the Salt River mouth, some 10 km away.
of or relating to a hero or heroine
of or relating to heroism