Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Showing cowardice; lacking in courage; basely or weakly fearful.
- The cowardly rascals that ran from the battle.
- The cowardly rashness of those who dare not look danger in the face.
- (archaic) In the manner of a coward.
- I love to follow them, but not so cowardly, as my life remaine thereby in subjection.
- 1828, John Paul, A Refutation of Arianism
- […] men who cowardly and hypocritically subscribe orthodox creeds, whilst they teach a different kind of doctrine!
in the manner of a coward