Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Showing cowardice; coward; lacking in courage; basely or weakly fearful.
- The cowardly rascals that ran from the battle.
- The cowardly rashness of those who dare not look danger in the face.
- (archaic) In the manner of a coward, cowardlily.
- 1603, John Florio, transl.; Michel de Montaigne, The Essayes, […], printed at London: By Val[entine] Simmes for Edward Blount […], OCLC 946730821:, Folio Society, 2006, vol.1, p.48:
- I love to follow them, but not so cowardly, as my life remaine thereby in subjection.
- 1828, John Paul, A Refutation of Arianism
- […] men who cowardly and hypocritically subscribe orthodox creeds, whilst they teach a different kind of doctrine!
in the manner of a coward