Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (Received Pronunciation) enPR: kouʹərdĭs, IPA(key): /ˈkaʊədɪs/
Audio (Southern England) (file)
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈkaʊɚdɪs/
- Lack of courage.
- c. 1596–1599, William Shakespeare, The Second Part of Henrie the Fourth, […], quarto edition, London: […] V[alentine] S[immes] for Andrew Wise, and William Aspley, published 1600, OCLC 55178895, [Act IV, scene ii]:
- The ſecond property of your excellent ſherris, is the vvarming of the blood, vvhich before (cold & ſetled) left the lyuer vvhite & pale, vvhich is the badge of puſilanimitie and covvardize: but the ſherris vvarmes it, and makes it courſe from the invvards to the partes extreames, […]
- 2019 July 19, Noah Kulwin, “Democrats Fail the Left, Once Again”, in Jewish Currents:
- [Ilhan] Omar was left twisting in the wind earlier this year after facing spurious charges of antisemitism, a display of Democratic cowardice co-signed by Chelsea Clinton, Chuck Schumer, and most every other Democrat with a congressional leadership position.
- cowardize (obsolete)
the lack of courage