Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (nautical) Regions of the ocean that are far from shore, especially those regions that do not belong to any country.
- 2013 June 8, “The new masters and commanders”, in The Economist, volume 407, number 8839, page 52:
- From the ground, Colombo’s port does not look like much. . . . For mariners leaving the port after lonely nights on the high seas, the delights of the B52 Night Club and Stallion Pub lie a stumble away.
- Usually used in the plural form, although examples of the singular form can be found, as in:
- Often used in the phrase on the high seas.
regions of ocean far from shore