Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Of or pertaining to extremely long words.
- 1997, Steven George Krantz, A primer of mathematical writing:
- To indulge in hippopotomonstrosesquipedalian tergiversation is not to show your erudition: rather, it is to be superficial.
- 2005, Greg Vaughn, Fred Holmes, Letters from Dad
- And when it comes to language, short, simple words often have more impact and power than multisyllabic, hippopotomonstrosesquipedalian ones.
- 2006, Richard Lederer, Word Wizard: Super Bloopers, Rich Reflections, and Other Acts of Word Magic:
- ...a forty-five-letter hippopotomonstrosesquipedalian word for black lung disease.