- 1 English
- Fear of, dislike of, or prejudice against homosexuals.
- In the 1990s, behavioral scientists William O'Donohue and Christine Caselles argued that the term homophobia was pejorative. In 2012, the Associated Press Stylebook was revised to advise against using -phobia words in non-clinical ways, and AP editor Dave Minthorn suggested replacing "homophobic" with "anti-gay".
fear, dislike, or hate of homosexuals
- (fear of mankind): anthropophobia
obsolete: pathological fear of mankind
- ^ O'Donohue, William; Caselles, Christine (September 1993), “Homophobia: Conceptual, definitional, and value issues”, in J Psychopathol Behav Assess, volume 15, issue 3
- ^ Byers, Dylan (26 November 2012), “AP nixes 'homophobia', 'ethnic cleansing'”, in Politico, retrieved 12 January 2018
- ^ Page, Clarence (5 December 2012), “Words with negative power”, in Chicago Tribune, retrieved 16 December 2012