Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
husbandman (plural husbandmen)
- a person who raises crops and tends animals; a farmer
- 1606 The xviii day of May in the fourth yeare of the Raigne of the kinge most excellent Monarche and in the year of our lord god 1606 I Thomas Knages of Lythe within the county of york husbandman sicke in body but whole in mynde and in perfect remembrance praised be to god do make and ordayne this my last will and testament in manner and forme following . . - The last will and testament of Thomas Knages (1533-1606)
- 1684 Thomas Tusser, born at Riven-hall, was successively a Musician, School-master, Serving-man, and a Speculative Husbandman; - Anglorum Speculum: Or The Worthies of England, in Church and State - Thomas Fuller
- 1843, Thomas Carlyle, Past and Present, book 2, ch. XVII, The beginnings
- Valiant Wisdom tilling and draining; escorted by owl-eyed Pedantry, by owlish and vulturish and many other forms of Folly; — the valiant husbandman assiduously tilling; the blind greedy enemy too assiduously sowing tares!
- 1844 The husbandman must labour before he receives the fruits - Works ... - Jean Calvin