Jump to navigation Jump to search
Blend of hyper- + supervisor.
hypervisor (plural hypervisors)
- (computing) A firmware or software system that provides a virtual machine and allows it to operate directly on underlying hardware (instead of via emulation), but within specified constraints.
- Synonym: virtual machine monitor
- 2011, Edward Whalen, Oracle VM Implementation and Administration Guide, McGraw Hill Professional, →ISBN, page 17:
- The hypervisor is the component that translates the virtual machines into the underlying hardware. There are two types of hypervisors: The type 1 hypervisor runs directly on the host hardware; the type 2 or hosted hypervisor runs in software.
system that provides a virtual machine
- hypervisor on Wikipedia.Wikipedia