icebreaker (plural icebreakers)
- A ship designed to break through ice so that it, or other ships coming behind, can navigate on frozen seas.
- The steel hulls of ice-breakers are much thicker than those of standard vessels.
2005, Martin Torgoff, Can't Find My Way Home, Simon & Schuster, published 2005, page 11:
- My father's Bonneville was cutting its way toward us like an icebreaker moving through my whole state of consciousness.
- A game, activity, humorous anecdote, etc., designed to relax a group of people to help them get to know each other.
- The new college hallmates were awkward with each other at first, but after a game of charades as an icebreaker, they were laughing like old friends.
ship designed to break through ice