Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ɪˈl(j)uːmɪneɪtɪŋ/
- (General American) IPA(key): /ɪlˈluməneɪtɪŋ/, /ə-/, /-ɾɪŋ/
- Hyphenation: il‧lu‧mi‧nat‧ing
- Providing illumination or light.
- (figuratively) Providing clarification or explanation; educational, revealing.
- 1961 November, “Talking of Trains: The subsidence problem”, in Trains Illustrated, page 651:
- An illuminating article in a recent issue of the Eastern Region's Civil Engineering News points out that where coal is worked over a reasonably large area, it is not only the whole of the strata above the workings, but also an area beyond which is liable to subside at varying rates after the coal has been removed.