- Rhymes: -eɪʃən
- A poisoning, as by a spirituous or a narcotic substance.
- He suffered acute intoxication from the combined effects of several drugs.
- The state of being intoxicated or drunk.
- The act of intoxicating or making drunk.
- A high excitement of mind; an elation which rises to enthusiasm, frenzy, or madness.
intoxication f (plural intoxications)
In French, the word intoxication is used more broadly than in English to refer to the poisoning of an organism by a variety of means such as herbicide or poisonous gas as well as by alcohol or narcotics.
- “intoxication” in Trésor de la langue française informatisé (The Digitized Treasury of the French Language).