Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈdʒæk.əʊˌlæn.tən/
- (US) IPA(key): /ˈdʒæk.oʊˌlæn.tɚn/, /ˈdʒæk.əˌlæn.tɚn/
Audio (US) (file)
- A carved pumpkin whose top and stem have been cut out and interior removed, leaving a hollow shell that is then decorated to represent a face, illuminated from within by a candle.
- (archaic) A will o' the wisp.
- [newspaper speculations] supplying so many more jack-o'-lanterns to the future historian
- 2001 — Joyce Carol Oates, Middle Age : A Romance, paperback ed., p.218
- He had a jocose jack-o'-lantern grin, big crooked nicotine-stained teeth, and a full droopy dark moustache and wiry whiskers hiding a weak chin. (attributive use)