Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
In original sense, a 5-cent US coin (a nickel); use for taxis and buses due to these services originally charging 5 cents as fare.
jitney (plural jitneys)
- A small bus or minibus which typically operates service on a fixed route, sometimes scheduled.
- An unlicensed taxi cab.
- A shared-ride taxi.
- (US, archaic) A small coin, a nickel.
- (in attributive use, US, archaic) Very inexpensive.
- (Canada) An informal lawn bowling competition in which all players present are randomly drawn into teams. This usage may have some currency in the US due to exposure from Canadian players wintering in the southern US.
- (Can we clean up(+) this sense?) A fraudulent arrangement whereby a broker who has direct access to an exchange executes trades on behalf of a broker who doesn't.