- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈbɹəʊkə/
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈbɹoʊkɚ/
- Rhymes: -əʊkə(ɹ)
From Middle English broker, brokour, brocour, from Anglo-Norman brocour (“small trader”) (compare also abroker (“to act as a broker”)), from Old Dutch *brokere (“one who determines the usages of trade, manager”), from broke, bruyck, breuck (“use, usage, trade”), from Proto-West Germanic *brūkī (“use, custom”), from Proto-Germanic *brūkiz (“use, custom”), from Proto-Indo-European *bʰruHg- (“to use, enjoy”), equivalent to brook + -er.
broker (plural brokers)
- A mediator between a buyer and seller.
- Hyponyms: playbroker, power broker, stockbroker, pawnbroker, floor broker, honest broker, money broker, piece broker, produce broker, sworn broker
- 1834, L[etitia] E[lizabeth] L[andon], chapter XII, in Francesca Carrara. […], volume II, London: Richard Bentley, […], (successor to Henry Colburn), →OCLC, page 119:
- It is singular how forcibly this passage in my narrative brings to my mind a picture which used to be, some years ago, at a broker's—that charnel-house of the comforts and graces of life. It had been taken out of its frame, and leant in a dark and dusty corner against a perpendicular armchair, whose rigid uprightness seemed suited only to the parlour of a dentist, repose being the last idea it suggested.
- A stockbroker.
- A mediator in general, one who liaises between two or more parties to attempt to achieve an outcome of some kind.
- (computing) An agent involved in the exchange of messages or transactions.
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout § Translations.
- (intransitive) To act as a broker; to mediate in a sale or transaction.
- Synonym: broke
- (transitive) To act as a broker in; to arrange or negotiate.
- 2012, BioWare, Mass Effect 3 (Science Fiction), Redwood City: Electronic Arts, →OCLC, PC, scene: Impressive work:
- When you first arrived on Menae, I had a hard time seeing how you flying off with one of our best generals would benefit our fight against the Reapers. However, as I now watch turian and krogan fighters working together to take down a Reaper destroyer, I must admit I am impressed. You've brokered an alliance that many thought impossible.
broker m (invariable)
- broker (commercial mediator)
broker m pers
- broker in Wielki słownik języka polskiego, Instytut Języka Polskiego PAN
- broker in Polish dictionaries at PWN
broker m (plural brokeri)
broker m (plural brokers)
- Alternative spelling of