keep one's mouth shut
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Audio (AU) (file)
- (idiomatic) To keep a secret; to refrain from speaking indiscreetly or carelessly; broadly, to refrain from speaking altogether.
- 2004, Alan Cowell, "Charles Joins Fray Over Himself," New York Times, 23 Nov. (retrieved 25 Oct. 2008):
- Charles has failed to follow the example of his mother, the queen, who has heroically kept her mouth shut for more than 50 years.
- 2022 May 23, Farge, Emma, “Russian diplomat in Switzerland says he resigns over Ukraine invasion”, in Reuters, archived from the original on 26 May 2022, Europe:
- He said he had raised his concerns about the invasion with senior embassy staff several times. "I was told to keep my mouth shut in order to avoid ramifications," he said.