Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Rhymes: -æpɪt
lappet (plural lappets)
- A small decorative fold or flap, especially of lace or muslin, in a garment or headdress.
- (zoology) A wattle or flap-like structure on the face.
- Some vultures have lappets of bare flesh on the sides of the head.
- Tompot blennies are distinguished by a pair of lappets above the eyes and dark stripes along the body.
- (transitive) To decorate with, or as if with, lappets.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Landor to this entry?)