lay claim (third-person singular simple present lays claim, present participle laying claim, simple past and past participle laid claim)
- To say that something belongs to oneself.
- Spencer University lays claim to the recently published discovery.
- 2013, Luke Harding and Uki Goni, Argentina urges UK to hand back Falklands and 'end colonialism (in The Guardian, 3 January 2013)
- Argentina also lays claim to what is now Queen Elizabeth Land, as well as to other South Atlantic dependencies including South Georgia and the uninhabited South Sandwich Islands.
- Synonyms: stake a claim to
say that something belongs to oneself