local area network
Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (computing) An interconnection of computers that are in relatively close proximity to each other, such as within a building.
- A Local Area Network connects all of the computers in our office.
- (computing) A network on which all devices communicate using OSI model device layer addressing.
- (Internet) A network on which all communication is delivered by way of MAC addresses and that is not routed.
- wide area network, metropolitan area network, campus area network, personal area network, storage area network
- (communication by way of MAC address) This is the technically correct sense of the term in an internetworking context.
- (Internet) ARP