Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (Southern US, Midwestern US) A viscous, syrupy sweetener, generally molasses, but sometimes table syrup.
1959, Leonard W. Roberts, “Jim Couch, His Family Story”, in Up Cutshin & down Greasy: folkways of a Kentucky mountain family, page 8:
- Made our molasses into long sweetening and tapped the sugartrees for short sweetening.
- 1974 John Quincy Wolf, Life in the Leatherwoods
- Mr. Hurst made the best of the situation and drank his molasses-sweetened coffee with seeming relish, as though he had been raised on long sweetening.
- 1989: Lee Smith, Fair and Tender Ladies
- Reach me some of that long sweetening, honey, she'd say at the breakfast table.