Jump to navigation Jump to search
- melasses (obsolete)
- (General American) IPA(key): [məˈlæ.sɨz], [mɵˈlæ.sɨz]
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): [məˈlæ.sɪz]
- Rhymes: -æsɪz
- A thick brownish syrup produced in the refining of raw sugar.
- 1913, Joseph C. Lincoln, chapter 5, in Mr. Pratt's Patients:
- When you're well enough off so's you don't have to fret about anything but your heft or your diseases you begin to get queer, I suppose. And the queerer the cure for those ailings the bigger the attraction. A place like the Right Livers' Rest was bound to draw freaks, same as molasses draws flies.
thick brownish syrup refined from raw sugar
- plural of