Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˌmasˈtɪk.eɪ.tər.i/
- (General American) IPA(key): /mæˈstɪk.əˌtɔr.i/
masticatory (plural masticatories)
- (chiefly medicine) Something chewed, originally as a medicine, now typically for pleasure or to increase the flow of saliva.
- 1624, Democritus Junior [pseudonym; Robert Burton], The Anatomy of Melancholy: […], 2nd edition, Oxford, Oxfordshire: Printed by John Lichfield and James Short, for Henry Cripps, OCLC 54573970, partition II, section 5, member 1, subsection iv:
- Sneezing, masticatories, and nasals are generally received.
masticatory (not comparable)
- “masticatory”, in Merriam–Webster Online Dictionary