mess around (third-person singular simple present messes around, present participle messing around, simple past and past participle messed around)
- (informal) To fiddle idly.
- The kids sat there messing around with leaves and blades of grass because they were bored.
- These guys don't mess around! They finished the whole job in ten minutes.
- (informal) To joke, kid, or play.
- Hey, don't take it personally. I was only messing around.
- Don't mess around with electricity if you don't understand it.
- (informal) To have a sexual relationship, especially one which is non-commital.
- Rumor has it that he's messing around with his secretary.