Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈmɪdnʌɪt sʌn/
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈmɪdˌnaɪt sʌn/
- Hyphenation: mid‧night sun
- The phenomenon occurring when the Sun does not set but only approaches the horizon at midnight; it occurs near the summer solstice in the polar regions.
1907, Robert W[illiam] Service, “The Cremation of Sam McGee”, in The Spell of the Yukon and Other Verses, New York, N.Y.: Barse & Hopkins, publishers, OCLC 938188849, page 50:
- There are strange things done in the midnight sun / By the men who moil for gold; / The Arctic trails have their secret tales / That would make your blood run cold; / The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, / But the queerest they ever did see / Was that night on the marge of Lake Lebarge / I cremated Sam McGee.
phenomenon occurring when Sun does not set