Jump to navigation Jump to search
Audio (US) (file)
- Rhymes: -eɪʃən
- The act of mortifying.
- A sensation of extreme shame or embarrassment.
- 1897 December (indicated as 1898), Winston Churchill, chapter 8, in The Celebrity: An Episode, New York, N.Y.: The Macmillan Company; London: Macmillan & Co., Ltd., OCLC 222716698:
- The humor of my proposition appealed more strongly to Miss Trevor than I had looked for, and from that time forward she became her old self again; for, even after she had conquered her love for the Celebrity, the mortification of having been jilted by him remained.
- (medicine) The death of part of the body.
- A bringing under of the passions and appetites by a severe or strict manner of living.
- (law, Scotland) A bequest to a charitable institution.
act of mortifying
a sensation of extreme shame
death of a body part
mortification f (plural mortifications)