Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
embarrassment (plural embarrassments)
- A state of discomfort arising from bashfulness or consciousness of having violated a social rule; humiliation.
- A state of confusion arising from hesitation or difficulty in choosing.
- A person or thing which is the cause of humiliation to another.
- Kevin, you are an embarrassment to this family.
- Losing this highly publicized case was an embarrassment to the firm.
2014 August 21, “A brazen heist in Paris [print version: International New York Times, 22 August 2014, p. 8]”, The New York Times:
- The audacious hijacking in Paris of a van carrying the baggage of a Saudi prince to his private jet is obviously an embarrassment to the French capital, whose ultra-high-end boutiques have suffered a spate of heists in recent months.
- (medicine) Impairment of function due to disease: respiratory embarrassment.
- (countable) A group of pandas; the collective noun for pandas.
Terms derived from "embarrassment"
state of discomfort
state of confusion
person whose actions cause humiliation