See also: nay-say
naysay (plural naysays)
- (chiefly US) Alternative spelling of
- 1897, William Morris, “Chapter XII. Birdalone Cometh Again to the Isle of Queens, and Findeth a Perilous Adventure Therein”, in The Water of the Wondrous Isles (Fantasy), Project Gutenberg, published 2005:
- And her bare feet fell to telling her clad sides of the sweet coolness of the water, and waited for no naysay, ...
- (chiefly US) Alternative spelling of say no to; deny, disagree, or oppose
- 2008 Jan, Arden Dale, “Want to Sell a Business? You May Not Be Ready.”, in Wall Street Journal:
- He advises that board members must have solid knowledge of business in general and be independent enough to naysay the owner at times.